Hi, I am Esmeralda Shaska, a fully licensed counselor/ psychotherapist. I look forward to helping you on your recovery and self-healing journey.
I have spent the last 15 years of my career helping a wide variety of individuals from all walks of life that are struggling to deal with Depression, Anxiety, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and Trauma. During the course of treatment, I have witnessed the psychological struggles and emotional pain that trauma causes my clients to endure and how their life is impacted by depression and anxiety.
The effects of these issues can lead into a variety of problems such as broken relationships, divorces, problems at work or school, explosive anger, rage, isolation, workoholism, alcoholism, and drug use in an attempt “to keep the emotions under control”.
It may seem easiest to go on auto pilot, follow unhealthy daily routines rather than risk the possibility of being judged, appear weak, risk disappointment or let loved ones down, and disrupt the flow of the ordinary life. Perhaps going through the motions is a simple and risk-free life but not rewarding or fulfilling and not leading to a meaningful or purposeful life. We can choose to be in survival mode or change our path to a direction to find a positive quality of life when we feel self-acceptance, internal peace, and hopeful for the future. In short, a life that keeps us true to who we really are and in touch with our authentic self.
If you want to improve the quality of your life you are in the right place. I have helped a lot of people get relief from their negative thinking, emotions, and behaviors. I am hopeful that I can be of help to you as well. Using my experience and expertise, I can guide you and support you to work on yourself.
I’m a strong believer that most of us have internal strengths and resilience that can help us live a fulfilling life and overcome the many obstacles in front of us. It’s important to accept our past (even though sometimes this is very hard to do) – and commit to leading a life true to our values, meaning and purpose.
While some people might be looking for a quick fix, change can be hard to happen. Investing time and money on yourself will be well worth it. Learning new coping skills will prevent repeating the same unhealthy patterns of behavior that keep us struggling everyday.
- Healthy Boundaries and Relationships
- More than 15 years of job experience in the field of mental health therapy and counseling. I have practiced independently since 2005. Worked full- time for two Group Practice Henry Ford Behavioral Health, and St. John Behavioral Health, mainly treating adults with depression and anxiety for 7 yrs. In the last 8 years have worked for the Veterans Hospital (VA) exclusively with Soldiers/ Veterans who struggle with depression/anxiety, Trauma and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and other adjustments related issues resulting from transitioning from the military culture to civilian life.
- Certified in several Evidence Based Specialized Trainings that have shown efficacy (improvement in symptoms) of Depression, Anxiety, and Trauma/PTSD.
- Certified on Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT) from Academy of Cognitive Therapy, Acceptance and Mindfulness Therapy (ACT), Prolonged Exposure (PE) Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT), Positive Psychology, Mindfulness, and Client –Center Therapy.
- MSW (Masters in Clinical Social Work) from Wayne State University in 2005
- Fully Licensed Provider.